Books / Monographs
- Hughes, E., Kwasniak, A. and Lucas, A., Public Lands and Resources Law in Canada, (Toronto: Irwin Law, 2016).
- Barrera-Hernandez, L, Barton, B. Godden, L, Lucas A. and Ronne, A.,(eds), Sharing the Costs and Benefits of Energy and Resource Activity (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016) 339-354.
- Muldoon, P., Lucas, A.R., Gibson, R.B., and Pickfield, P. and Williams, J., An Introduction to Environmental Law and Policy in Canada, 2nd ed, Toronto: Emond Montgomery, 2015.
- Lucas, A. and Cotton, R. (eds), Halsbury's Laws of Canada, Environment (LexisNexis, 2007)
- Barton, B., Barrera-Hernández, L., Lucas, A.R., and Rønne, A., (eds.), Regulating Energy and Natural Resources, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Hughes, L., Lucas, A.R. and Tilleman W. (eds.), Environmental Law and Practice. Toronto: Emond Montgomery, 3rd Ed., 2003.
- Zillman, D., Lucas, A.R. and Pring, R. (eds.), Human Rights in Natural Resource Development: Public Participation in the Sustainable Development of Mining and Energy Development. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002, 710 pp.
- Lucas, A., (gen ed), Canadian Environmental Law, Second Edition (Toronto: LexisNexis, 1991 and regular loose-leaf revision).
Articles / Chapters
- Lucas, A. and Lilles, H., "Opportunities for Public Participation in the Regulation of Hydraulic Fracturing Operations in Alberta" (2016) 54:1 Alberta Law Review.
- Lucas, A and Thompson, C.,"Infrastructure, Governance and Global Energy Futures: Regulating the Oil Sands Pipelines" (2016) 28 JELP 355-394.
- Lucas, A. and Fraser, S., "Granting of Shale Gas Licences, Land Access & Property Rights in North America," in Handbook of Shale Gas Law and Policy, Tina Hunter, ed. (Intersentia, 2016).
- Lucas, A., “Participatory Rights and Strategic Litigation: Benefits Forcing and Endowment Protection “in Canadian Natural Resource Development” in L. Barrera-Hernandez, B. Barton, L. Godden, A. Lucas and A Ronne, Sharing the Costs and Benefits of Energy and Resource Activity (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016) 339-354.
- Zillman, D., Lucas, A. and Beirne, S., "An Eventful Year for Energy Law and Policy" (2015) 33 Journal of Energy and Natural Resources Law, 82-105.
- Lucas, A. and Zillman, D., "Breaking (Not So) Bad: A Look at the World's Energy Prospects as of July, 2014" (2014) 60 Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute, 18-1.
- Lucas, A. and Yearsley, J., “The Constitutionality of Federal Climate Change Legislation” (2012) 23 Journal of Environmental Law and Policy 205 – 236
- Lucas, A. "Canadian Energy Infrastructure and the Federalist Dilemma", in Energy Networks and the Law: Innovative Solutions in Changing Markets, Martha M. Roggenkamp, Lila Barrera-Hernández, Donald N. Zillman, and Iñigo del Guayo, eds. (Oxford University Press, 2012).
- Lucas, A. (with Brenda Kenny and Harrie Vredenburg) “The new role of law in stimulating industrial innovation and regional development: the Canadian experience with reflexive law in reconciling economic development, environmental protection and entrepreneurship in the energy industry” (2012) 4:1 International Journal of Innovation and Regional Development 8-27.
- Lucas, A., "The Significance of Property Rights in Biotic Sequestration of Carbon". In, McHarg, A., Barton, B., Bradbrook, A. and Godden, L. (Eds.), Property and the Law in Energy and Natural Resources, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2010, pp. 437-452.
Other Recent Scholarly Activity
- On July 18, 2014, Professor Al Lucas presented (with Professor Donald Zillman, University of Maine), “Breaking (Not So ) Bad: the Dynamic World Energy Picture in 2014”, at the 60th Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation’s 60th Annual Institute held in Vail Colorado. The paper will be published in (2013) 60 Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Annual Institute Proceedings.
- Presentation on "Legal Regime of Unconventional Oil Exploitation in Canada" at a conference on "The Scope of Energy Reform: Mexico and International Models of Energy Regulation," Mexico City, June 5-6, 2014.
- Presentation on the regulation of multi-stage hydraulic facturing, co-authored with two colleagues from the Energy Resources Conservation Board - Academic Advisory Group of the Section on Energy, Environment, Resources and Infrastructure Law (SEERIL) of the International Bar Association, May, 2013.
- Chair - Academic Advisory Group (AAG) of the International Bar Association's Section on Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law - for two years from May 2010.
- Member, Organizing Committee - First Annual Energy Regulatory Forum, Calgary, May 19, 2010.
- Presentation: "New Roles for Property in the Energy and Natural Resources Sectors", International Bar Association Biennial Conference of the Section on Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law: Challenges for Resources in a Changing World, Toronto, April 27, 2010.
- Organizer and Co-Chair - Colloquium on Property and the Law in Energy and Natural Resources: Program led by the Academic Advisory Group (AAG) of the International Bar Association's Section on Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law, Toronto, April 24, 2010.