LLM (Law & Tech)
Research and teaching
- Artificial Intelligence and Law
- Electronic Discovery Law
- Environmental Impacts of new technology
Gideon researches in the area of law and technology and specifically on electronic discovery, artificial intelligence and law, and environmental impacts of technology. Gideon’s research work has been published in Canadian Journal of Law and Technology, Utrecht Journal of International and European Law, African Journal of Library, Archives and Information Science, and Canadian Bar Review (forthcoming).
Current Research Works:
- Algorithmic Bias – Legal framework for the use of artificial intelligence technology in recidivism risk assessment in the Canadian criminal justice system.
- In Search of Greener Data: Environmental Impact of Data-Driven Technologies.
- Breaking a legal monopoly: Unauthorized Practice of Law (UPL) in the age of artificial intelligenc technologies
Gideon Christian is an Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Law at the University of Calgary. He obtained his law degree (LL.B) from the University of Lagos in Nigeria, an LL.M (with specialization in Law and Technology) and a PhD from the University of Ottawa. During his doctoral studies, Gideon was a SSHRC - Joseph Armand Bombardier Canada Doctoral Scholar.
Prior to joining the Faculty of Law at the University of Calgary in August 2019, Gideon worked part-time as an adjunct professor at the Faculty of Law, University of Ottawa, and fulltime as Legal Counsel with the National Litigation Sector at the federal Department of Justice where he conducted electronic discovery in high-profile litigation involving the Government of Canada.
- Gideon Christian, Predictive Coding: Adopting and Adapting Artificial Intelligence in Civil Litigation (2019) 97 Canadian Bar Review 3.
- Gideon Christian, Ethical and Legal Issues in eDiscovery of Facebook Evidence in Civil Litigation (2017) 15 Canadian Journal of Law and Technology 335. <https://ssrn.com/abstract=3097573>.
- Gideon Christian, Trade Measures for Regulating Transboundary Movement of Electronic Waste (2017) 33:85 Utrecht Journal of International and European Law 103. <http://doi.org/10.5334/ujiel.435>.
- Emilia Péch, Gideon Christian, and Allison Sephton, “Comparative Models For Government Legal Service Delivery” (2015) GCPedia Department of Justice, Canada.
- Gideon Christian, “A New Approach to Data Security Breaches” (2009) 7:1 Canadian Journal of Law and Technology 149. <https://ssrn.com/abstract=1704922>.
- Gideon Christian, “Open Access Initiative and the Developing World” (2008) 18:1 African Journal of Library, Archives and Information Science 1 – 10.
- SSHRC - Joseph Armand Bombardier Canada Doctoral Award
- IDRC Doctoral Award
- IDRC Research Internship Award (twice)
- CIGI-Africa Initiative Graduate Research Award