Mooting & Debating
Apply to the Mooting & Debating program.
Credit moot program
You can participate in both non-credit and credit moots during your time at UCalgary Law. Credit moots are open to second and third year students.
- Credit moot descriptions
- Credit moot program course outline and student expectations
Applying to the credit moot program
The Mooting & Debating committee, in consultation with coaches, select students for the credit moot program based on the following criteria:
- Your participation in the McGillivray and other moots
- Your ranking of more than one moot choice in the program
- Your letter of interest (one page), including past education and professional experience
- Your grades/GPA (please supply an unofficial transcript)
- A sample of your writing (a 2-3 page portion of a factum/memo/paper, etc.)
2019-2020 competitive moots
- Alberta Court of Appeal Moot (6 mooters; 2L students only)
- Bennett Jones Health Law Moot (4 mooters)
- Canadian Client Consultation Competition, participation pending confirmation of faculty funding (2 mooters)
- Davies’ Annual Corporate Securities Moot (4 mooters, 1 researcher)
- Donald G. Bowman National Tax Moot (4 mooters, 1 researcher)
- Gale Cup Moot (4 mooters)
- Jessup International Law Moot – Canadian Division (4 mooters, 1 researcher)
- Kawaskimhon Aboriginal Circle (4 mooters)
- The Laskin Moot, participation pending confirmation of faculty funding (4 mooters)
- Western Canada Trial (MacIntyre Cup) Competition (2 mooters)
- Western Walsh Family Law Negotiation (2 mooters) (pending participation)
Please note that the Willms Shier Environmental Law Moot (2 mooters) is a bi-annual moot competition - next offering in 2020-2021 academic year.
Non-credit moot program
The non-credit moot program consists of the William McGillivray Moot and the Blackstone Medals Debate.
Annual William McGillivray Moot
Sponsored by Carbert Waite LLP
- Open to 2L and 3L students only
- Contact: Chantal Pegg, email@example.com
- This competition has been moved to the Winter session.
- Winter 2019 competition marked the 40th Annual William McGillivray Moot - Final Round took place on Thursday, March 28, 2019.
Blackstone Medals Debate
- Open to all JD students
- Sign up in pairs with a colleague in any year of law school
- Contact: Sue Parsons, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Blackstone Medals Debate was created in 1980 in honour of Judge Irwin Blackstone, one of the founding members of UCalgary Law. The debate focuses on your ability to provide a clear and concise argument during a structure debate lasting 43 minutes. The debate focuses on the true strength on an argument and give you excellent exposure and practice in oral advocacy.