Dr. Elizabeth Whitsitt, PhD
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
Faculty of Law
PhD International Economic Law, University of Calgary, 2017
LLM International Legal Studies, New York University, 2007
LLB University of Calgary, 2004
BSc Psychology, University of Calgary, 1999
Professor Whitsitt teaches various courses in international law and dispute resolution at the University of Calgary, Faculty of Law. Professor Whitsitt received her LLM in International Legal Studies from New York University and completed her PhD in 2017. Her PhD research focused on the intersection of trade law and investment arbitration. More specifically, her work considered the role that adjudicators play in the continuing conversation about the relationship between the international trade and international investment law regimes and the extent to which the international trade and international investment law regimes are uniting through the process of adjudication. Professor Whitsitt has published and presented extensively in the areas of international trade and investment law. Professor Whitsitt is currently a scholar-in-residence at Wilmer Hale LLP. She is also the recipient of a SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship, Killam Memorial Scholarship and the Marc Lalonde Prize for Excellence in International and Commercial Arbitration.
Professor Whitsitt is a member of the Law Society of Alberta, the American Society of International Law (ASIL), and the European Society of International Law (ESIL).
She is also a member of the Canadian Council on International law (CCIL) and is currently co-chair of the CCIL’s Annual Conference.
Professor Whitsitt is appointed to Canada’s Roster for NAFTA Chapter 19 Binational Panels.
She is also a Canadian Member of NAFTA’s Joint Public Advisory Committee to Commission for Environmental Cooperation (3-year appointment effective June 2019).
Professor Whitsitt’s research profile engages a variety of issues and themes in the area of public international law, particularly international economic law. Her research interests include work on the unifying role of adjudication in global economic governance and the relationship between international economic law and the regulation of digital economy, natural resources, energy, environment and human rights.
Areas of Research
- Elizabeth Whitsitt and Ann Ryan Robertson. Alberta Law Review. (2021)
- Elizabeth Whitsitt and Todd Weiler. 13(2) Dispute Resolution International. 1-48. (2019)
- Elizabeth Whitsitt and Stephanie Mullen. 32(1) ICSID Review – Foreign Investment Law Journal. 92-115. (2017)
- Elizabeth Whitsitt and Stephanie Mullen. 32(1) Arbitration International. 59-80. (2016)
- Elizabeth Whitsitt. 3(4) Cambridge Journal of International & Comparative Law.
- Elizabeth Whitsitt. 65 UNB Law Journal. 126-156. (2014)
- Elizabeth Whitsitt. 20(1) UC Davis Journal of International Law & Policy. (2014)
- Elizabeth Whitsitt. in Stephan Schill & August Reinisch, eds, Investment Protection Standards and the Rule of Law. (2020)
- Elizabeth Whitsitt. in Robert Finbow, ed, CETA: Next Steps and Implications. (2020)
- Elizabeth Whitsitt. in David Collins, ed, Digital Trade Across the Globe. (2020)
- Elizabeth Whitsitt & Todd Weiler. in Marie-Claire Cordonier Segger & Sean Stephenson, eds, Research Handbook on Investment Law and Sustainable Development. (2020)
- Elizabeth Whitsitt and Nigel Bankes. in Nigel Bankes, Irene Dah, and David VanderZwaag (eds), Aquaculture Law and Policy: Global, Regional and National Perspectives. (2016)
- Elizabeth Whitsitt and Nigel Bankes. in Leif Christian Jensen and Geir Hønneland (eds), Handbook of the Politics of the Arctic. 185-206. (2015)
- Elizabeth Whitsitt & Todd Weiler. in Fabio Bassan ed, Research Handbook on Sovereign Wealth Funds and International Investment Law. (2015)
- Elizabeth Whitsitt and Jennifer Koshan. in The Alberta Supreme Court at 100 edited by Jonathan Swainger. (2007)
- 14th Annual JURIS Conference. (2020)
- ICC Canada International Arbitration Conference. (2019)
- CETA Implications. (2019)
- China, Sustainable Development and Economic Policy-Making. (2019)
- Rule of Law in International Investment Law. (2018)
- Young Canadian Arbitrator Practitioners (YCAP). (2018)
- Canadian Council on International Law: International Law at the Boundaries. (2018)
- Joint North American International Economic Law Conference: Managing International Economic (Dis)Integration: Challenges and Opportunities. (2018)
- New Law Librarians Institute. (2018)
- CETA Implementation: Next Steps. (2018)
- with Todd Weiler. Investment Courts: Challenges and Perspectives. (2018)
In the News
- NAFTA Ratification and Labour Standards. CBC News Network. (2019)
- Varcoe: Trade risks vs. spending rewards emerge in Alberta's oil plan. Calgary Herald. (2018)