Dr. Gregory Hagen, PhD
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
Faculty of Law
Ali Abel, MPR, CMP
Manager, Marketing & Communications
Faculty of Law
PhD Philosophy of Science, University of Western Ontario, 1996
LLM Technology law, University of Ottawa, 2002
LLB Dalhousie University, 1998
Prior to joining the Faculty in 2003, Greg practiced in the areas of corporate, securities and technology law at two national law firms. Professor Hagen earned his Ph.D. in the philosophy of science at Western University, as well as a B.A. and M.A. at the University of British Columbia. He did his LL.B. at Dalhousie University and his LL.M. at the University of Ottawa. He served as Associate Dean (Research) and Graduate Program Director from 2014-2019. He has taught at the University of Ottawa, Western University, Duke University's Asia America Institute in Transnational Law at the University of Hong Kong, at the Summer Law Institute, held at Peking University, and spent a sabbatical term at the Faculty of Law, University of Ghana, West Africa.
Greg is a member of the Law Society of British Columbia.
Greg is currently doing research on abstraction in patent law, patenting AI, smart contracts, trust in DeFi, legislative supremacy and the “standard picture of law,” regulating botnet traffic, and the epistemology of privacy and information integrity.
Areas of Research
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|LAW 510 LEC 01 01||Ethical Lawyering||2020|
|LAW 703 LEC 01 01||Grad Sem Legal Res & Method||2020|
- Greg Hagen. 49:2 UBC L Rev. 377-426. (2016)
- Greg Hagen. 28:3 IPJ. (2016)
- Greg Hagen, Tania Bubela and Edna Einsiedel. Trends in Biotechnology (Volume 30, Issue 3). 132–137. (2012)
- Greg Hagen. Canadian Intellectual Property Review, Vol. 26, No. 1. (2010)
- Greg Hagen. SCRIPTed: A Journal of Law, Technology and Society, Volume 5, Issue 2. 515-552. (2008)
- Gregory Hagen, Cameron Hutchison, David Lametti, Graham Reynolds, Teresa Scassa, & Margaret Ann Wilkinson (Eds.). Emond Montgomery Press. (2018)
- Greg Hagen. in Giuseppina D’Agostino, Aviv Gaon, & Carole Piovesan (Eds.), Leading Legal Disruptions: Artificial Intelligence and a Toolkit for Lawyers and the Law. (2021)
- Greg Hagen. in Florian Martin Bariteau & Teresa Scassa (Eds.) Artificial Intelligence and the Law in Canada. (2021)
- Greg Hagen. in Teresa Scassa, Mistrale Goudreau, Madelaine Saginur, Courtney Doagoo (Eds) Intellectual Property Law for the 21st Century: Interdisciplinary Approaches to IP. (2013)
- Greg Hagen. in Michael Geist (Ed), The Copyright Pentalogy. (2013)
- Greg Hagen. in Michael Geist (Ed) From Radical Extremism to Balanced Copyright. (2010)