Dr. Gideon Christian, PhD
Faculty of Law
Ph.D. University of Ottawa, 2014
LLM Law & Tech, University of Ottawa, 2008
LLB University of Lagos, 2002
Gideon Christian is an Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Law at the University of Calgary. He obtained his law degree (LL.B) from the University of Lagos in Nigeria, an LL.M (with specialization in Law and Technology) and a PhD from the University of Ottawa. During his doctoral studies, Gideon was a SSHRC - Joseph Armand Bombardier Canada Doctoral Scholar.
Prior to joining the Faculty of Law at the University of Calgary in August 2019, Gideon worked part-time as an adjunct professor at the Faculty of Law, University of Ottawa, and fulltime as Legal Counsel with the National Litigation Sector at the federal Department of Justice where he conducted electronic discovery in high-profile litigation involving the Government of Canada.
Gideon researches in the area of law and technology and specifically on electronic discovery, artificial intelligence and law, and environmental impacts of technology. Gideon’s research work has been published in Canadian Journal of Law and Technology, Utrecht Journal of International and European Law, African Journal of Library, Archives and Information Science, and Canadian Bar Review (forthcoming).
Current Research Works:
- Algorithmic Bias – Legal framework for the use of artificial intelligence technology in recidivism risk assessment in the Canadian criminal justice system.
- In Search of Greener Data: Environmental Impact of Data-Driven Technologies.
- Breaking a legal monopoly: Unauthorized Practice of Law (UPL) in the age of artificial intelligence technologies
Areas of Research
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|LAW 505 LEC 01 01||Civil Procedure|
|LAW 510 LEC 03 03||Ethical Lawyering|
|LAW 510 LEC 02 02||Ethical Lawyering|
|LAW 693 LEC 03 03||eLitigation|
- Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Doctoral Award, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council. 2010
- International Development Research Center (IDRC) Doctoral Award, International Development Research Center . 2010
- Africa Initiative Graduate Research Award, Centre for International Governance Innovation. 2012
- Law for the Future Fund Grant , Canadian Bar Association. 2021
- Gideon Christian. Canadian Bar Review. (2019)
- Gideon Christian. Canadian Journal of Law & Technology. (2017)
- Gideon Christian. Utrecht Journal of International and European Law. (2017)
- Gideon Christian. Canadian Journal of Law & Technology. (2009)
- Gideon Christian. African Journal of Library, Archives and Information Science. (2008)
- Candice Chan-Glasgow, Gideon Christian and Ilan Tsekhman. 113 - 130. (2021)
- Emilia Péch, Gideon Christian, and Allison Sephton. GCPedia Department of Justice. (2015)
In the News
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.