Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
Faculty of Law
Manager, Marketing & Communications
LLM University of Calgary, 2000
LLB University of Alberta, 1996
BA (Hons) Political Studies and French, University of Saskatchewan, 1990
Professor Nikolaou joined the Faculty in 2007 and was a Research Associate with the Canadian Institute of Resources Law from 2001-2007. She served as Associate Dean (Academic) of the Faculty from 2016-2021. Upon completion of her term, Professor Nikolaou was recognized for her exceptional educational leadership contributions with the 2021 University of Calgary Teaching Award for Educational Leadership. During her five-year term as Associate Dean, Professor Nikolaou was instrumental in implementing the Faculty’s Calgary Curriculum (with its focus on experiential learning) and she developed new programs including the Certification in Common Law in French with the University of Ottawa and the Faculty’s Foreign-Trained Lawyers Program. The Faculty recognized her contributions to excellence in teaching and curricular and program development with the 2020 Howard Tidswell Memorial Award for Teaching Excellence.
Prior to her academic career, Professor Nikolaou practiced law in Calgary and served as legal counsel to the Honourable Madam Justice C. Hunt of the Alberta Court of Appeal. She articled with the Court of Appeal and Court of Queen’s Bench in Calgary. In 2000, Professor Nikolaou completed her Master of Laws degree with a specialization in environmental and oil and gas law. Her thesis, which considered the liability regimes for well abandonment, reclamation, and contaminated sites in Alberta, was awarded the Governor General’s Gold Medal as well as the Canadian Policy Research Award from the Policy Research Initiative in Ottawa.
Professor Nikolaou is a member of the Alberta Bar.
Professor Nikolaou’s research interests are in the areas of energy, natural resources, environmental, and property law. She is the current editor of the Canada Energy Law Service - Federal (Thomson/Carswell). Her publications and research include work on such topics as: public participation in energy, natural resources and environmental decision making; theories of environmental liability, including the polluter pays principle; liability regimes for the clean-up of environmental damage; the role of human rights law in natural resources development; the constitutional jurisdiction of administrative tribunals; the role of municipalities in natural resources and renewable energy development; the legal and regulatory framework for oil and gas, including oil sands, development in Alberta; and the role and mandate of Canadian energy regulators, both federal and provincial.
Professor Nikolaou also undertakes research in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL), with a particular focus on experiential learning, best practices, and innovation in legal education.
Areas of Research
Participation in university strategic initiatives
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|Law 404||Property Law|
|Law 531||Environmental Law|
|Law 625||Pollution Control and Waste Management Law|
- University of Calgary Teaching Award for Educational Leadership (Individual - Formal Role), 2021,
- Howard Tidswell Memorial Award for Teaching Excellence, 2020, Faculty of Law, University of Calgary .
- Canadian Policy Research Award, 2001, Policy Institute, Ottawa .
- Governor General's Gold Medal, 2000, Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Calgary .
- (2011) 22 Journal of Environmental Law and Practice 125.
- (2010) 48:1 Alberta Law Review 55.
- (2007) 17 Journal of Environmental Law and Practice 205.
- (2005) 43:2 Alberta Law Review 369.
- (2002) 39 Alberta Law Review 864.
- (1999) 9 Journal of Environmental Law and Practice 145.
- Editor & Author. Thomson Carswell (ongoing).
- in Allan E. Ingelson, ed., Environment in the Courtroom (University of Calgary Press). (2019)
- (with Michael S. Quinn et al). in Laurie E. Adkin, ed., First World Petro-Politics: The Political Ecology and Governance of Alberta. (2016)
- (with Allan Ingelson & Alastair Lucas). in Impact Assessment: The Next Generation - 33rd Annual Conference of the International Association for Impact Assessment Conference Proceedings, International Association for Impact Assessment. (2013)
- (with J. Owen Saunders). Occasional Paper No. 33, Canadian Institute Resources Law. (2010)
- Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 96th Annual Conference (online). (2021)
- Canadian Association of Law Teachers, Annual Conference (online). (2021)
- Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning (online). (2021)
- Western Legal Innovation Forum (online). (2020)
- 4th Annual Law Needs Feminism Because YYC Forum. (2020)
- ConocoPhillips IRIS Seminar, Centre for Corporate Sustainability, Haskayne School of Business, University of Calgary. (2017)
- Symposium on Post-Conflict Natural Resources Extraction and Mining Law, Center for Energy and Sustainability Law, Qatar University and the US Department of Commerce, Commercial Law Development Program, Doha, Qatar. (2014)
- Institute for Sustainable Environment, Energy and Economy (ISEEE), Calgary. (2013)
- Energy Regulatory Forum, Calgary. (2013)
- Alberta Association of General Counsel (AAGC), Calgary. (2013)
- Symposium on Environmental Education for Judges and Court Practitioners, Environment Canada and the Canadian Institute of Resources Law. (2012)
- Conference on Public Participation in Energy and Natural Resources Development in Alberta -- Is There Room for Improvement?, Calgary. (2010)
- Colloquium on Environmental Scholarship, Vermont Law School. (2010)
- Canadian Bar Association Municipal Law (South) Section, Calgary. (2007)
- Canadian Bar Association Environmental Law (South) Section, Calgary. (2007)
- (with Natasha Kenny et al.). Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning, University of Calgary. (2018)
- The Negotiator: The Magazine of the Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen. (2013)
- 113 Resources 1. (2012)
- 108 Resources 1. (2010)
- 17:3 Constitutional Forum 123. (2008)
- 100 Resources 1 . (2007)
- Canadian Institute of Resources Law, Occasional Paper No. 21. (2007)
- Canadian Institute of Resources Law and Alberta Civil Liberties Research Centre, Human Rights Paper No. 5. (2006)
- Institute for Sustainable Energy, Environment and Economy, University of Calgary, Paper No. 18 of the Alberta Energy Futures Project . (2006)
- 94 Resources 1. (2006)
- Canadian Institute of Resources Law and Alberta Civil Liberties Research Centre, Human Rights Paper No. 3. (2006)
- 30:1 LawNow 17. (2005)
- 85 Resources 1. (2004)
- 29:2 LawNow 17. (2004)
- Canadian Institute of Resources Law and Alberta Civil Liberties Research Centre, Human Rights Paper No. 1. (2003)
- University of Calgary. (2000)